Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ahhhhhh.... Zen

I got it. I finally got it. Not sure how long I'll keep it, but I'm sitting here and I've got IT...

Here's the thing. When I am at odds with my situation - when I'm living with 'shoulds' and 'what-if's' - when there is doubt or fear - there can be no connection with the universe. And that universe just wants me to have everything... So today, me - a tiny speck of carbon life-form, driving around the farthest place a person can travel by automobile in the USA - I found myself in a harmonious groove with the universe and everything was as it was meant to be. (And as you can probably tell, being in harmony with the universe makes one sound a bit loopy.) But seriously, it was totally and completely bitchen...

I started out on a quest to find the location of the scheduled noon-time 12-step meeting here in Homer. It's fun to go to meetings when you're traveling because it's like hooking up with extended family. Plus, I hardly ever get to meetings anymore **Disclaimer** If you happen to be newly clean/sober - please disregard that last sentence. Go to meetings. Call your sponsor. Work the steps. I just happen to enjoy the edginess that living without direction brings to my life **End Disclaimer** Anyway, I gave up looking for the meeting and found myself on East End Road headed, I don't know where. But for some reason, I kept heading there. That's when I saw these guys!




They crossed the road in front of my car and it was the beginning of the most wonderful day.

After that, I just began to appreciate the scenery and the cold wind so much more. I drove up a winding road to the very top of Homer and looked down and saw all of it, from the Chugach Mountains to Beluga Lake, to the city. And after that, I headed down to the Spit and stopped into a bead and stamp store and picked up some goodies. And later, I sat in the car by the ocean and made a pair of brass dragonfly earrings while listening to Bonnie Raitt.

Later when I was driving back up the Spit Road with the ocean on either side, I had the windows open and the cold breeze was blowing my hair around and seagulls were flying along side of me and the occasional eagle was passing by - and I'm telling you, I understood perfectly how that kid from "Into the Wild" went nuts. I got it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not real sure what "it" is but I think I want some of that too. - The Brew Meister