Monday, May 19, 2008

Gastronomic Bliss in Homer, Alaska

Oh my gosh, I had breakfast at The Two Sisters Bakery this morning. I may never be the same... The Two Sisters looks like it's a big house sitting in the middle of an overgrown field. That's because most of Homer looks like it's sitting in the middle of an overgrown field. But it's not - that's just how Alaska is. Like, everyone's car is dirty. Muddy and dirty - only they're not cars, they're trucks and SUV's and they all have cracked windshields. Even the SUV I rented has a cracked windshield! And all the houses are built elevated from the ground due to snow. And there are forests in the middle of neighborhoods and bears live in them! It's so cool!

Anyway, I ate the most wonderful breakfast today at the Two Sisters. Biscuits and gravy (which was NOT the usual glop of paste on top of a lump of dough you usually associate with biscuits and gravy). It was a light biscuit with a cream sauce over it that had a chowder-like consistency, with sausage and just a hint of sweet onion. It made my tummy sing. And of course, I had to finish with a cup of Kay-Bay Free Trade coffee and a piece of chocolate bread, which is a chocolate and cinnamon stuffed roll, and the chocolate melts when it's heated... I may have to re-visit the Two Sisters before I come home. Speaking of coming home, I met 3 different women today who are transplants from Southern California to Homer. So it's not just me who fell in love with this town.

After breakfast, I walked down to Bishops Beach, which is part of the Kachemak Bay Research Reserve. The place where I'm staying is pretty much right on Bishop's Beach and there are a lot of shorebirds. As a matter of fact, since I've been sitting here writing this, I've seen not one, not two, not three - but four bald eagles fly by my window. Those are some big-ass birds!

Tomorrow I'm driving down to the Homer Spit to attempt to get some photos of eagles. Plus I'm still on the look-out for Moose and Bears. Everyone says there are moose all over town, but I've been here already 24 hours and I haven't seen one yet. I am pretty sure I did see a bear today though. I was trying to get a shot of a wild turkey I spied in the woods by the Ocean and Islands Center, but as I approached, I saw a dark "lump" back a ways in the trees. So I got out my trusty binoculars and the "lump" appeared to have a smaller lump that looked like a head of a bear, with smaller lumps that looked like bear ears! So of course, I freaked out and walked slowly back to the car and freaked out some more and drove away. (There goes bald eagle number 5!). We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm exhausted. I think I'll watch "American Gangster" and eat the salad I bought at the Safeway (there is a Safeway in Homer!) and turn in early. I'm especially tired because this bed is a freakin' torture rack on my back! A mattress on a wooden platform - GAAAH! However, not being able to sleep for more than 2 hours in a row without the pain waking me has it's up side. At about 3 a.m. I awoke to see one of those commercial crab boats - like on "Deadliest Catch" all lit up and sailing through the bay. Cool!

Except for visiting 3 art galleries and a book store, that about wraps up Day 2 in Homer.

More tomorrow - it's Spit Day!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have determined that I do not need to travel as long as I know you! I could swear that I was right there with you. - The Brew Meister